in humanities, labeled by
The 3D SHS Consortium was created in 2014 by Huma-Num to meet a growing need for expertise in 3D practices in Humanities field. Since 2014, Archeovision pilot this consortium, labeled for 4 years.
In 2018, the Huma-Num Scientific Council renewed its labeling for a new quadrennial (2018 – 2021).
Uses of 3D technologies are diversifying and occupying an increasingly important place in the processes of studying human societies.
Several research teams play a role in the appropriation of these new tools and thus collaborate in the emergence of new practices.
The 3D consortium proposes to federate these practices by backing them to a network of heavily involved units.
The need to structure the use of 3D in a national consortium meets several objectives:
- Embrace all the uses of 3D for the study of human societies
- Coordinate and structure at a national level the production of 3D models and help the leading positioning of French teams
- Disseminate in the partner networks “guidelines” for the use of 3D
These concerns reflect the desire of all actors in the 3D consortium to connect together, coordinate and / or pool their efforts in order to optimize the insertion of 3D methodologies in the service of research objectives, at regional, national and international level.
The consortium proposes to:
- Alert research stakeholders in Humanities to issues related to the use of 3D models
- Clarify the vocabulary associated with 3D technologies for digital humanities
- Mutualize resources (rendering, calculation, conservatory, backup, license server cluster)
- Develop specific 3D tools for humanities in open source
- Disseminate good practices (methodology, formats, metadata schema, etc.)
- Promote multidisciplinary partnerships (Computer Science / Digital Humanities) respecting the objectives of each
- Take into account the problems of using 3D coming from the ground
- Identify scientific contexts of 3D productions and place of deposit of 3D models
- Set up the 3D National Repository and a web portal, catalog of all 3D models produced in Humanities, find a way of articulating the overall.
The work produced for the first 4 years are collected in the white paper.